DANY has been serving New York's Defense Bar and legal community for over 50 years -- bringing together by association, communication, and organization attorneys and qualified non attorneys in the state of New York who devote substantial professional time to the handling of litigated cases primarily for the defense.
DANY is committed to improving the services of the legal profession, elevating the standard of trial practice, supporting and working for the improvement of the adversarial system of jurisprudence in our courts, and facilitating and expediting trial of disputed claims.
DANY Events and Programs
Upcoming DANY events such as continuing legal education, banquet dinners, and the annual golf outing, once scheduled, are posted on this web page in the column to the right. Current DANY programs, such as the Diversity Initiative and Law Student Writing Competition, are described below. This page also chronicles past DANY events and programs, so please read on and view our other web pages as well.
DANY Diversity Initiative Program -
Career Empowerment for Diverse Attorneys:
Leadership, Mentorship and Rainmaking
March 29, 2016 - November 29, 2016
Dear DANY Member,
The Defense Association of New York is pleased to announce that it will offer its award winning leadership and business development training program for women and diverse attorneys in 2016. This program entitled “Career Empowerment for Diverse Attorneys: Leadership, Mentorship and Rainmaking” will be held March 29, 2016 – November 29, 2016 at the New York State Insurance Fund and will provide 25 women and diverse attorneys, with direct training in leadership and business development skills. The DANY Diversity Initiative aims to teach mid-level women and diverse attorneys how to effectively compete for leadership positions, negotiate work arrangements and successfully pursue professional opportunities. This program promotes the retention and success of women and diverse attorneys through direct instruction and mentoring. The cost for individual applicants is $600.
Why Attend? Attorneys participating in the DANY Diversity Initiative will receive one to one coaching sessions and 10 hours of formal instruction in leadership and business development skills from seasoned business coaches. They will additionally be assigned to smaller groups of 5 facilitated by DANY’s professional coaches where they will receive hands on instruction in a supportive group setting. Most importantly, participating attorneys will be paired with a volunteer mentor drawn from a panel of seasoned diverse litigators committed to fostering long term mentoring relationships.
Industry Networking Sessions: Panel discussions and networking events will be held in September, October and November 2016. Leading attorneys from the public and private sector as well as members of the judiciary will discuss the skills women and diverse attorneys need to develop in order to succeed in the courtroom, advance their careers and compete for business as outside counsel. Insurance companies that participated in the 2014-2015 program included representatives from Berkley, CNA, Electric, Liberty Mutual, Navigators, Selective, State Farm, The Hartford, Torus, American Transit, Corvel and The Brownstone Agency. State and Federal judges as well as attorneys from the City of New York, New York City Housing Authority, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Metropolitan Transportation Authority and New York State Insurance Fund also participated. Following each of the panel discussions the DANY Initiative participants, panel members and representatives from the sponsoring law firms will attend an intimate networking reception.
Sponsorship: Law firm sponsors are guaranteed acceptance of one qualified applicant from the firm, recognition of their sponsorship on all program and promotional materials and an invitation for one additional firm member to attend the moderated panel discussions and networking sessions with judges, corporate counsel, governmental attorneys and representatives from major insurance companies and Fortune 500 Companies. The cost of a law firm sponsorship is $1,500. Law firms interested in sponsoring the Diversity Initiative should contact the undersigned or Connie McClenin, the executive director of DANY, and submit a completed sponsorship form no later than February 15, 2016.
We hope your firm will consider supporting this initiative by publicizing it to your women and diverse associates or by becoming a law firm sponsor. Below for your reference is a link to a copy of DANY's Diversity Initiative Brochure. The program has already received much favorable attention as evidenced by an article that appeared in the New York Law Journal; see the second link below. If you have any questions please feel free to give me a call.
2016 DANY Diversity Initiative Brochure
2015 NYLJ Diversity Initiative Honorees
Claire F. Rush
Rush & Sabbatino, PLLC
111 John Street, Suite 800
New York, NY 10038
(O) (212) 600-2454
(F) (212) 600-2533
(M) (917) 623-5179
DANY Law Student Writing Competition
The Defense Association of New York, celebrating its 50th Anniversary, is proud to offer a writing competition for enrolled law school students. Interested students are requested to draft an original scholarly work of interest to those professionals whose focus is primarily for the defense of litigated civil cases, and whose practice consists of representing insurance companies, self-insured entities and corporate defendants, for publication in The Defendant. The Defendant is an on-line publication published by DANY and distributed to the bench, bar and insurance professionals. The article is not to exceed 2,500 words.
Articles will be accepted up until March 18, 2016, with the possibility that multiple scholarships will be awarded. Any law student whose article is selected for publication in The Defendant will be awarded a $500 scholarship and a one-year free membership in the DANY, including free admission to all continuing legal education programs provided by DANY.
To participate in the writing competition, please e-mail your completed scholarly work to Glenn A. Kaminska at email@example.com. Please provide a cover page with your article that provides your full name, address, e-mail address, phone number, law school and graduation year. All citations in articles should utilized endnotes. Only one article may be submitted per student. Please see the official rules below.
Law Student Writing Competition Official Rules
1. The competition is open to any law school student in good academic standing, over the age of 18, at the time of the deadline date for submission.
2. All articles must be the original work of the entrant, must not have previously been published elsewhere, and must have been written within one year of the deadline date for submission.
3. Articles submitted must be written in English, may not exceed 2,500 words, including endnotes, and must be submitted in WORD format. Only one article may be submitted per entrant. Articles must be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before March 18, 2016.
4. The entry shall be sent in two separate files: (1) a cover page and (2) article. The cover page shall contain the following information: title of article; author’s full name, address, e-mail address, and phone number; name of author’s law school and graduation year.
5. Articles will be judged based on the sole discretion of the Defense Association of New York (DANY). The Scholarship Chair or an appointed representative will notify the author of any article selected for publication. Any law student whose article is selected for publication in The Defendant will be awarded a one-time $500 scholarship and a one-year free membership in the DANY, including free admission to all continuing legal education programs provided by DANY, commencing from date of publication. No substitutions or transfers will be permitted. Any law student awarded a scholarship and membership is solely responsible for reporting and payment of all taxes (federal, state, local or other) on such scholarship and membership. Such student will assist DANY, if necessary, with any tax documents required.
6. By entering the writing competition each law student consents to the publication of their article by DANY, understands that such publication is not guaranteed, and grants full copyright to DANY in all media for non-commercial use.
7. By entering, all law students whose articles are selected for publication agree to allow the use of their name, photograph, likeness, and biographical information for advertising, publicity and promotional purpose in all media without compensation.
8. All entries submitted to DANY become the property of DANY and will not be returned. All expenses involved in preparing and submitting an entry are the sole responsibility of the entrant.
9. The writing competition is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. By entering, all participants agree that the competition shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York, that the courts of New York shall have exclusive jurisdiction, and that New York County, New York, shall be the venue for any dispute or litigation relating to or arising from the competition.
10. Chances of winning may vary depending on the number of articles submitted. DANY reserves the right not to select any article if it is determined that no articles merit selection. DANY reserves the right to select more than one article for publication.
Very Truly Yours,
Glenn A. Kaminska, Esq.
Chair, DANY Scholarship Committee
DANY Continuing Legal Education -- November 5, 2015
Jury Research (the Millennial Juror) and The Science of Storytelling
DANY would like to thank the presenters below for their enlightening CLE presentation titled Jury Research (the Millennial Juror) and The Science of Storytelling:
Ross Suter, Esq. - Magna Legal Services
Mark Yagerman, Esq. - Smith, Mazure, Director, Wilkins, Young & Yagerman, P.C.
Thomas P. Giuffra, Esq. - Rheingold Valet Rheingold McCartney & Giuffra
DANY's Past Presidents' Dinner - October 21, 2015
Thank you members, guests and sponsors for making this another successful event --
we look forward to seeing you again! Please view our list of Committees on this web site via the "Committees" tab; DANY welcomes your participation and feedback. Also, congratulations to DANY's new Executive Director, Connie McClenin, and to newly elected Board members Eileen Buholtz and Thomas E. Liptak. A complete list of DANY's Officers and Directors is on this web site via the "Leadership" tab. Further, DANY extends its gratitude to Hon. Joseph P. Spinola, former Justice of the Supreme Court / Nassau County, for his informative CLE presentation on Mediation Advocacy.
Nine of DANY's Past Presidents, along with current President Margaret Klein
DANY's Past Presidents
DANY Annual Golf & Tennis Outing 2015
It was a wonderful day of golf, camaraderie and good times --
thank you for your participation.
DANY's Annual Charles C. Pinckney Awards Dinner - April 23, 2015
Awards and Recipients:
Charles C. Pinckney Award:
The Honorable Jenny Rivera - Associate Judge of the New York State Court of Appeals
Education and Literary Award:
The Honorable Ariel E. Belen (Ret.) - Associate Justice, Appellate Division,
Second Department, 2008 - 2012; Now Mediator and Arbitrator at JAMS
James S. Conway Achievement Award:
Kevin J. Kelly, Esq. - Partner, Conway, Farrell, Curtin & Kelly P.C.
Public Service Award:Rabbi Joseph Potasnik - Rabbi Emeritus, Congregation Mount Sinai
DANY Continuing Legal Education --
Understanding Attorney Professional Conduct and Misconduct
Justice George J. Silver of the Supreme Court, New York County headlined the latest DANY Ethics CLE on April 8, 2014 at the Down Town Association. The turnout was excellent and the program was very well received by the audience. Pictured below from left to right are Kaylin Whittingham, Esq., Staff Counsel to the Departmental Disciplinary Committee; DANY President Brian Rayhill; Honorable Justice George J. Silver; and Lawton W. Squires of Herzfeld & Rubin and former Grievance Committee Senior Trial Attorney.
See the "Publications" page on this web site for past issues of DANY's "Defendant" !!!